There are many strategies for teaching a child how to read. Experts say that the best way to learn to read includes the following methods.
• Start reading to your child when they are a baby and continue this practice as often as you can.
• When you read books to your child try to find some verse or songs that rhyme – they help a child develop phonological awareness, a bigger vocabulary and lead to better reading outcomes.
• Have books and other texts easily available to your child.
• When reading to your child ask them questions about what is being read. This helps to involve the child in reading and to pay closer attention.
• Find ways to teach your child the connection between letters and sounds – it helps if you have toys and puzzles that have letters printed on them.